The United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) is the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative. It is both a practical framework for action and a platform for demonstrating corporate commitment and leadership.
In Australia, the business-led Global Compact Network Australia brings together signatories to the UN Global Compact, including a number of Australia’s leading companies, non-profits and universities, to advance corporate sustainability and the private sector’s contribution to sustainable development.
UN Global Compact’s 10 Principles
The UN Global Compact believes that corporate sustainability starts with a company’s value system and a principled approach to doing business. They have established Ten Principles that are derived from: the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Labour Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, the Rio Declaration on Environment and Development, and the United Nations Convention Against Corruption.
The Flight Centre Travel Group have drawn from these principles in the creation of its key four pillars, and we outline the UN Global Compact’s principles below, to demonstrate both organisation’s commitment to the welfare of all people, the wildlife and the environment of this planet.
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- Principle 2: Make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- Principle 4: The elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- Principle 5: The effective abolition of child labour; and
- Principle 6: The elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- Principle 8: Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- Principle 9: Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
In May 2018 – we proudly submitted our first Communication On Progress outlining our progress on delivering on our commitments to the UNGC.